Thursday, November 13, 2008

My New Whip (Know What I'm Sayin?)*

If you've spoken with me, read my blog or been in the same area code as me in the last 15 months, you are well aware that I've been on the hunt for a new car. Not that the Saab was a bad ride, but a man with my power (uh?), wealth ("at least $10 million" according to Yogan) and great social standing (several people from Southern NH know I exist) requires an auto of the highest quality.

Being that I am somewhat cheap and tend to over analyze everything I do (you don't want to know what goes through my head after a first date), picking a car, dealership, salesman, trim, add-ons, and financing plan was a huge undertaking. Among my requirements were the following:
  • A car I can beat up - The Saab is dinged beyond belief. The new car must be able to handle my man-child clumsiness.
  • Something that can haul a decent amount of cargo - It has to fit golf clubs, a bike, skis and several drunken 1998 Maine Class A basketball championship team members. All at once.
  • An auxillary input jack - I MUST be able to listen to my iPod without changing the radio station every 10 minutes.
  • AWD/4WD - Believe it or not, NH and ME get nasty in the winter, especially at Sunday River. It must get me there and back no problem.
  • A sun roof - I'm a diva. No reason other than the fact I like them.
  • A decent sleeping area - Between my XC journey and a couple nights in Boston, I realized the importance of a comfortable area to rest my eyes for several hours.
  • Decent gas mileage - At least 20mpg combined
  • Something as sexy as its' owner - This is self explanatory and goes without saying.
With those requirements in mind I started researching. And test driving. And doing more research. Then calling dealerships. Then interviewing salesmen (seriously). Then even more research. When all was said and done, there were a handful of small SUVs pushed to the way side:
  • Jeep Patriot and Compass (horrible drive, kinda for chicks who like chicks)
  • Toyota RAV4/Honda CR-V (every one I asked said "Oh, my mom loves hers")
  • Subaru Forrester/Outback (too expensive, again for chicks who like chicks)
  • Ford Escape/Explorer (didn't like the drive that much)
  • Another Saab (Saab + GM = $40,000 worth of garbage)
In the end, all signs pointed to the Honda Element. It carries cargo well. It has a nice ride. There is a sunroof in the back for some reason. The seats actually turn into a bed. And the kicker - you can spray the inside down when it gets covered in unidentifiable liquid/solid combinations.

So without further adieu, my new Element:




If you're in the Southern NH area and are looking to buy an Element (or any other Honda), let me know. The good folks at Peter's Honda never once made me feel uncomfortable, never tried any funny business, and gave me a great deal. Big thanks to Matt and the rest of the team there.


*Yet another TPB reference. Please watch with a native Skowheganite if you haven't already.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i wish i had bought stock in honda...or the element. or hell, just bought an element. i've heard nothing but the most awesome of things about these cars.....i hope she's comfortable and fun to christen. (in whatever way your heart desires). Katherine

Anonymous said...

Ooooooh an element. My friend just had two kids who play soccer and they all love it. Although its not as sporty as their Chevy Malibu.

Anonymous said...

Chad-nice choice. Carol can attest to my fondness for an Element. Next time you come out you can drive her around in it. She'll only have the most complimentary things to say.

Why no rubberized fenders. Do they not come that way anymore?

Good luck against Chris!

DH

chadwik66 said...

An update on the element - for some reason the rubberized fenders have gone the way of the DoDo. It had something to do with them scratching too easily, which is too bad because I think they look much better.

And it is not a soccer mom car. Rumor has it that it is tough to get baby seats in the back, so that makes me feel a little better. It could be worse - I could have gone with a Miata or CR-V.

Unknown said...

don't make fun of my new slightly used whip like that chad. By the way, I made money off from acquiring this car from you.

chadwik66 said...

Very good point. I sell you a Saab for a dollar and forget that there is $30 in change in it. You being a cheap bastard wouldn't even let me pay for DD the next morning with the change. I better get my sun glasses back though - they are sweet.

Unknown said...

sorry chad, but janine really likes those. where did you get these, the old people section at wal-mart where you can slip them on over you regular glasses?

Anonymous said...

WOOHOO!!! Welcome to the ELEMENT club! I love my Element! It has everything i could want, i've had mine for a few years now, and still going strong! You won't be disappointed!