Monday, November 30, 2009

Cool by Proxy

Until recently, my biggest claims to fame have been:
  1. Shooting around in college with future NBA and NFL players
  2. Having a cousin who is married to the sister of the chick from Happy Gilmore
  3. Riding the bench on a championship high school basketball team (shockingly enough, the internet did not capture this proud moment from over a decade ago)
Needless to say, my brushes with fame are few and far between. Until now. With much pride I can now claim being directly involved in back-to-back dinners that featured the epitome and antithesis of total awesomeness. Unfortunately, I play the antithesis to Lance-freakin'-Armstrong's epitome in this little ditty.

The story goes like this: A good buddy of mine from UNC (Go Heels!) happens to be a damn good cellist. After graduation he spent several years with Big Blue before giving up the glorious life of tech consulting for the world of rock cello. He bounced around for a few years before The Avett Brothers decided to gobble up his skills and throw him on the tour bus. Ultimately, it was the best move he ever made as they are now getting critical acclaim, bookings on Letterman and invites to Lance Armstrong's house for dinner.

You read that right - dinner at Lance Armstrong's house. Gnarly, I know.

Unfortunately for Mr. Joe, the Texas stay was short lived as the band had to get to NYC for a Jimmy Fallon taping. Don't you hate when that happens?

Needless to say, once he arrived we met up for some great Korean food and a stroll to Bryant Park for people watching. We had a blast, but there is no doubt in my mind that everyone at the dinner table was pondering how one person can go from Lance Armstrong to me (or any Holmes for that matter) in just 24 short hours. I dare ye to identify a faster fall from grace.

If nothing else, I can now claim just 2 degrees of separation from the greatest athlete of our time and an immediate upgrade in coolness by way of an old college buddy's success.

Now for some good ole' fashion North Carolina folk-rock:


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dork or not, that's actually a pretty good set of observations in your blog.

The Avett Bros appear to be UNC's version of UVa's Dave Matthews Band.

Hmm. I hope they get the success without the loathing.

DH

Man Up said...

I'm just a passerby but saw that you are an Avett Bros fan. I heard an excerpt of their cd on NPR, subsequently bought it, and am now a big fan. To me, it's probably cooler that you know one of the musicians that play with them than the connection to Lance Armstrong...although he's a pretty damned cool person too.

chadwik66 said...

brianwithani55 - thanks for stopping by. Feel free to read as many of my mindless rambling as your heart desires.

DH - As always, your desire to point out the marginal superiority of UVA over UNC in all things non-athletic is noted. I could have swore that you were closer to Mr. Jefferson's time there than DMBs though :)

Unknown said...

Hi Chad! I just got to your blog on my new laptop that you helped me pick out when we were down there! Good story on Joe and the band. Make sure you tell him that I am really proud of him. And I love the CD. Thanks for having us and showing us around. Love Mom

Unknown said...

What is with the comment moderation?????

chadwik66 said...

About the comment moderation:

Blogger had added some pretty cool features that have increased the traffic from family members to a lot of random people. Overall, I think this is awesome. Unfortunately, a few spammers have taken advantage of this and posted some malicious links. To avoid this in the future, I've turned comment moderation on.

Don't worry, everyone is still welcome to make fun of me, tell bad stories, post info they shouldn't and make vague references only 3 people will get. I'm too lazy to filter that junk out.