Friday, October 31, 2008

Finally Growing a Pair

As some of you may know, I'm a bit weak when it comes to standing up for myself. In what I consider a very unfunny joke, I believe my parents sat down soon after my birth and decided that they should produce two humanesque creatures who they would breed with the sole purpose of using me as a verbal and physical sparring partner. Luckily, I'm fairly jovial when it comes to such activities and am able to take most of it in good fun.

Over the last several years I've come to realize that while such activities are entertaining among family members (the blood type, not those you are legally bound to until the NH judicial system grants you that sweet, sweet taste of freedom), it is not so good when dealing with most other people. In fact, a certain cell phone company (which rhymes with 'Mint') recently decided to extend my service plan for over a year without my consent. Normally, you are at their mercy and have no recourse other than days spent screaming on the phone at low paid customer service reps, so I was not optimistic about my original end date being hononred.

Luckily I found this equivalents to this particular carrier's thermal exhaust port - the Better Business Bureau and the FCC. It turns out that both companies act as watchdogs over the cell phone industry and don't take kindly to activities which pry on individual consumers. Less than 24 hours after fililng complaints with both organizations, not only was my original contract honored, but an apology was provided and all blame was accepted by the carrier at hand.

So the long and short of it is, honor your end of the contract and you have people in your corner to help ensure the big bad cell phone companies honor theirs.

Up next: Off to Portland for Halloween to act as an idiot savant who loves kitties and lives in random structures with great degrees of mobility...

No comments: