Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Man, His Thoughts, And A Boatload of Poorly Charged Electronics

So I'm a bad, bad blogger. I've gone almost a full year without posting, despite several very entertaining races (Yay Reach The Beach, Pineland Farms Trail Run and Cross dressing 5k/6 beer challenge), an incredibly entertaining summer of dating and more changes at work than I can remember. As a friend once told me - blogging is for those who fall in that gray area between too boring to write about and too active to actually write, and I seemed to have stumbled into the latter category for a stint.

The good news is, all of the above have been for the positive. The running is theoretically slimming, the dating theoretically enjoyable and work theoretically profitable. Even better - the profitable aspect (namely life at everyone's favorite AppSec company) has lead to an adventure where I'll be hopping across the pond for nearly a month in order to better support some co-workers.

It was during this first hop that I learned that not all international flights between first world countries have Wi-Fi, personal video monitors, power outlets or any form of entertainment not related to canceled NBC programming. Luckily, 7 hours in a confined, sleepless space can do wonders on a mind constantly in need of stimulation. Even more luckily for my 2-3 adoring fans, I decided to write down some of the wondrous thoughts formulated 7 miles over the Atlantic:
  • Real portions sizes are great, especially if you've just ripped a large hole in the crotch of your cargo pants.
  • Michael Lewis writes some great sports books, but his financial books are even better.
  • Why the hell do I always forget Lewis is married to Tabitha Soren of MTV fame until I read his acknowledgments?
  • The New "Footloose" movie! Um, no.
  • Kenny Loggins stands the test of time.
  • The new girl is great. I'm sure I'll pay for this gushing at some point.
  • Tina Fey and Steve Martin should have a baby, if for no other reason than to ensure I have a lifetime of smart humor available to me.
  • People that refer to themselves as enjoying smart humor are usually pretentious pricks.
  • I'm pretty sure no one has ever said "Wow, I feel so much better now that I scarfed down that Otis Spunkmeyer baked good!"
  • Finding a tour guide page titled "London's Best Curries" elicits the same wide eyes I used to show when given a yard long pixie stick.
  • Muenster cheese - Awwww yeah!
  • At least I can now blame the pee stains on my pants on the turbulence.
No, it's not the best written list, but it should get a chuckle or two. I'm hoping the coming weeks will end in lurid tales of mistaken identities, unknown alley ways and parts of London no American has ever experienced. More likely it will end in exhausting sight seeing, travel blogging and longing to no longer smell of curry when I sweat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I expect, as we all do, full reporting on the London experience. And for the record it isn't all about curry. Go over to Borough Market on the South bank over the weekend.

-DH

Anonymous said...

The long awaited blogger is back! I knew you had it in you Chad! Are you going to go around the circle like Clark Griswold did? Love, MA