Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 Race Training - Playlist All Stars

Having recently pursued nonathletic adventures in urban living, cohabitation and extended confinement in a 4'x8' space, the urge to run a somewhat challenging race crept back into my quickly aging legs. Sure, I'd done a 4 miler or 10k here and there, but my rigorous training schedule for those typically consisted of a few lumbering 5 mile jogs each week and required no attention to pace, eating habits or training plans.
So on a whim, I signed up for an early April half - my first in nearly two years. Luckily, I was able to dig up a few useful resources in planning for this surprisingly hilly course:
  • Hal Higdon's Training Guide - Straight forward, easy to understand and targeted towards multiple levels of runners. I prefer a slightly modified version of the Novice plan.
  • Google Calendar - To schedule those pesky training runs that good ole' Hal insists on. I find that email reminders of "Run, you fat ass!" can be quite motivating.
  • LiveStrong.com - An outstanding site for tracking runs, meals and a variety of other useful tools. It definitely helps reconsider that mid-day mocha or push for one more mile at the end of a long run.
Of course, none of this would be fun without an accompanying playlist - my own personal montage music if you will. Having already dedicated a full post to the brilliance of one Mr. Benjamin Folds and another to previous incarnations of my playlist, I figured a third was in order. The below playlist all stars have a pretty distinctive 60s/70s feel to them, but are definitely worth consideration for any soundtracks that need refreshing:

Songs to Fight Through that First Mile

Cecilia - Simon & Garfunkel
You Don't Mess Around with Jim - Jim Croce
When the Sun Goes Down - Arctic Monkeys


Upbeat Songs to Get Ya Goin'

Freewill/The Spirit of the Radio/Tom Sawyer/Limelight - Rush
25 or 6 to 4 - Chicago
The End - The Beatles

Gotos for Eating Up Long, Shapeless Distance:

Suite: Judy Blue Eyes - Crosby, Stills & Nash
Paradise by the Dashboard Light - Meat Loaf
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band


Obligatory Ben Folds Inclusions

Effington (a cappella version) - Ben Folds
Jackson Cannery - Ben Folds Five
One Angry Dwarf and 200 Solemn Faces - Ben Folds Five

Quick and Easy Songs to End the Day

America - Simon & Garfunkel
Stuck in the Middle With You - Stealers Wheel
Wonderwall - Oasis

2 comments:

..:danielle:.. said...

great bay half marathon? just asking... i may or may not base my participation in that event on whether youre there. ;)

chadwik66 said...

Yes ma'am. And, of course, I'll assume your comment is of the tone "I was on the fence about running it, but if Chad is, there is no way I can miss such a glorious opportunity!" :)