Saturday, August 30, 2008

My Man Crush: Ben Folds

In case you didn't know, Ben Folds' newest album - Way To Normal - hits shelves exactly one month from today. This is likely to be the musical highlight of my year. The singles I've heard are eccentric, upbeat, honest and obscene - everything I've come to expect from Mr. Folds. Add to that a duet with Regina Spektor, leaked tracks (both real and fake) by the man himself, a YouTube contest for covers of his songs and a stop motion video written about a tumble in Japan, and this appears to be another entry in my line of worn out Folds related CDs.

So for those of you who have yet to become obsessed with the oft-wed pianist (4 and counting!) and those of you who have an obsession to his music as equally unhealthy as my own, here are 10 Ben Folds related videos for your listening (and viewing) pleasure:

Best Song (In My Opinion) - Underground



Best Use of Keytar - Rockin' The Suburbs



Best Nonsensical Title - One Angry Dwarf And 200 Solemn Faces



Best Sing Along - Army



Best Cover by Ben - Careless Whisper (w/Rufus Wainwright)



Best Cover of Ben - The Last Polka

Piano - Mike Stein
Drums - Justin Bulava
Vocals (grey) - Lauren Fairweather
Vocals (yellow) - Nina Jankowicz


Most Depressing Lyrics - Brick



Best (and only) Sports Song - Boxing



Best Song That Makes You Say REALLY? - Bitches Ain't Shit (NSFW) (Dr. Dre Cover)

(Fast forward to the 2 minute mark - it's worth it)


Best Song About Dating Your Daughter's Friend - Karaoke Supernova/Hiro's Song

1 comment:

John Byun said...

Good call on Underground. When I first heard that song, I asked myself, "What is that beautiful sound?!?"

In today's society where "pop songs" are utter horse shit, Ben Folds is definitely one of musicians out there that actually deserves the title. And he's probably one of the few that doesn't sounds like shit when performing live.