Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 20: Castro and Driving

Despite my friend Robert's best effort, my final day in San Francisco was less than eventful. Even with a visit to the Castro district I was unable to come up with a good story to end the second leg of my travels. (This may be one time that I am thankful for such a bland day).

After that stroll and a thorough APBA ass whooping, I was off to Williams, AZ in preparation for the Grand Canyon.

View Larger Map

I could go into detail of zipping through the Mojave Desert at high rates of speed, but three sentences should just about cover it: "I went fast. I nearly dirtied my Wonder Woman Underoos. I'm still alive."

So in order to keep you entertained, here is another Q&A session (and some completely unrelated pictures):

Why aren't you posting as often?
What can I say - I live an exciting life. Between rolling dice, viewing computers that are 40 years old and riding on ferries, I just can't seem to find the time. Actually - the trip back is in a shorter time span and there aren't as many campgrounds with internet access. I've actually gone a whole 2 days with no internet at one point - Egads! Don't worry - the days are being chronicled and will be posted soon. Until then, the few privileged with the knowledge of my phone number can call to get updates.

A man of such great masculinity and pure sexuality must require companionship on the road. How have you been fulfilling your manly desires?
Whoever asked this question knows me all too well. What can I say - some men have to carry greater burdens than others, and this is the life that has been chosen for me. I've become partial to interstate rest areas and the occasional truck stop - mostly because it costs me less than the brothels. Plus the post-coital bliss is intensified by the rounded bellies of big rig drivers.
(NOTE: If you've never met me - please read this again with the greatest sarcasm possible. If you're thinking of employing me and stumbled upon this blog - I guess I made that decision easy for you. Good luck filling the position.)

Is it lonely traveling alone?
Traveling with Scotty, Janine and Moose was awesome. They are among the few beings on this planet that have any tolerance for extended periods of time in my presence (and vice versa). I do miss the walkie-talkie conversations and discussions on the origin of life, globalization and flatulence, but am coping well without them. Luckily I have made some GREAT changes to the schedule that have left me too excited to be lonely - check back soon for details (If you are an English teacher, this could be used for your discussion on foreshadowing - it could also get you early retirement.) Seriously though - no, it's not that bad.

How's the facial hair going?
You be the judge (and be more Paula than Simon...)

Did you go to the original Starbucks?
I tried to go to the one in Pike Place Market, which I believe is the original. The line was literally out the door with people looking like they hate the Starbucks stereotypes and just happened to stop by that one. I figured one more irritated jackass was unnecessary so I went and grabbed some gelatto instead.

Is your dating life that bad that you're mother is pimping you out in the comments of your blog?
I wish I could say no...

What's it like?/You think I should do it?/Are you enjoying it?
  • It's like what it sounds like - something different everyday followed by lots of driving. The stories are as good as you're willing to make them - it's a lot easier to ignore a German lady straddling you than it is to make light of the situation.
  • If you like having no real plans, eating up your savings at a good rate (don't worry - I'm nowhere close to broke - I still have a few McDonald's coupons left), showering in locker rooms, living in a constant state of sweat and just not giving a sh*t, then it might be for you. This is a much larger conversation.
  • And yes, I'm having a decent time. It will only get better in the coming days.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

tie a message around a condor for us in the grand canyon....

or tie it around a navajo in chinle.

or around an arch in page.

or heck, around a stripper in vegas.

we'll find it!! :)

katherine

Anonymous said...

With all these self pictures I have noticed something about you.

Cheddar, you're so vain I bet you think this blog is about you. Don't you?! Don't you?! Don't Youuuuuuuuuu?

-The king

Mom said...

Hi Chad,
As soon as I talked to you at the KCRoyals Stdium, I had to go down in the dungeon, turn on the computer, and wait the 20 minutes that it takes for our dial-up to be able to get to your latest blog. This is absolutely you at your best....And, I had to click on your comments to see your brother's note - I tell you and anyone that cares to listen:
WHY 2 OF THE MOST AWESOME INTELLIGENT CHICKS IN THE WORLD - YES, WORLD - HAVE NOT GOT THEIR CLAWS INTO YOU TWO, I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND..... What can I say? You, all 3 of you guys, are special beyond words. Drive safely and enjoy your couple of days at KC - I almost think that Grandpa had something to do with the KCRoyals too - check it out. It won't be all that long that you are back in the real world with the rest of us. Enjoy it ... and I am so glad that you didn't pull a "Supertramp" on us!!!! Love mom

Anonymous said...

Can we leave all comments that aren't making fun of chad off this board? Its just not as fun to read complimentary things.

chadwik66 said...

Ahhh, the love. A rambling mother, a lyricist brother and a friend that doesn't have enough courage to identify themselves. So is my life.