Friday, August 29, 2008

The 40 Hour Day

Every now and then I have a week at work where I can just step back on Friday afternoon and say "Damn, I got a ton done." Don't get me wrong, this doesn't happen very often, but when it does I'm always taken aback.

Of course, I never really tried 40 consecutive hours of activity - until last weekend. Since my nude modeling career has yet to take off, work is still a necessity, and unfortunately it bungled up my personal plans once again. While some of the fun stuff got thrown out the window (the only nipples I saw that weekend were my own), I did have quite the day (or two):
  • Wake up in the Philly suburbs. Wash vigorously.
  • Complete a REALLY cool work assignment. No small governments were overthrown.
  • Drive through beautiful downtown Philadelphia. I'm still awaiting the results of the TB test.
  • Spend an hour in a fiberglass tube which zooms you to Boston at 350mph.
  • Have a delicious Quiznos dinner in Southern New Hampshire
  • Drive 9 hours to a foreign land while listening to tales of contemplated military service, hitting the lowest of lows and barroom brawls. Luckily I'm naive and think they are just catchy songs that help the time go by.
  • Shoot random elk, moose and deer at 3 am while releasing primal screams that would make Howard Dean swell with pride.
  • Aid in the hydration of bushes on the edge of Niagara Falls
  • Ingest multiple grams of caffeine in the form of three venti hazelnut soy lattes, six red bulls, three gas station coffees and one diet coke. I know, I know, diet soda is bad for me.
  • Listen to Toronto area news stations discuss how the Blue Jays will do in the playoffs. Despite being 12 games back. In late August. And sucking. Really.
  • Watch Jon Lester throw a couple innings of batting practice to the Jays.
  • Mmmmm...steak and crab legs
  • Cirque du Soleil with my mom and her fiancee. If I'm doing this at 40 and still single, feel free to openly question my sexuality.
  • Ten Layer Cake at Gretzkey's
  • Finally, the sweet embrace of unconsciousness...
Overall, not a bad time. Toronto is a great city, the Sox turned it around the next day, and our hotel was amazing. I wouldn't recommend going more than a day without sleep, but if you have to, this is a pretty kick ass way to spend it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Chad- you forgot to add in saving your mothers life while crossing traffic lanes, watching Jacoby Ellsbury bounce off the bullpen screen and still staying in the game and your trip to the Worlds Biggest Bookstore!

How much fun can one guy have in a foreign land even though you did not enter one strip club while there?