Sunday, August 10, 2008

Days 23-24: Sox in KC

I'd love to be creative and witty when writing about my trip from Denver to Kansas City, but I'm just not that good. I'll not kid my loyal readers (or myself), I was stopping in Kansas City for one reason only - to watch grown men run around in cotton-lycra blends, slap each other on the bum and get sweaty with each other in the triple digit heat.

Add to the fact that I was going on 3 (or was it 4?) days without clean underwear, and my whole impression of Kansas City is based on laundromats, campgrounds, Kauffman Stadium and fine dining establishments that charge less than $15 for a full meal.

So without further unnecessary rambling, here are my generalized impressions of Kansas City:
The roads out west are VERY straight
Seriously - look at this map. It is roughly 500 miles of a straight road that angles one degree this way or that at every 25 mile marker. This leads to a damn boring drive, but at least I had the Sox to welcome me once I arrived.

View Larger Map

This really is a Red Sox Nation
Nearly every place I went with my cap on - ballparks, stores, hiking trails, etc - I would get a "Go Sox!" welcome. People love everything about them: the story, the players, the winning ways (of late), the merchandising. Unfortunately, a KC fan was nice enough to point out that a majority of people at the ballpark were actually mid-western band wagon fans who couldn't name a player before 2002. To prove his point he asked a few groups what they liked about Mike Greenwell, with which he only received replies of blank stares and dodgy eyes.

It is perfectly acceptable to be a newer fan, but please identify yourself with a pink hat or at least try to avoid wearing old school jerseys if you don't know who actually wore that #9.

People west of the Mississippi love to hit my car
Yup, it happened once again. I was sitting in a parking lot (with one leg out my car door no less) and I got backed into. This isn't a huge deal since it was at about 2 miles an hour. What was a big deal was the octogenarian not realizing his auto was immobile due to its' being wedged against my bumper. Once he revved the engine three or four more times and slid my car forward about 4 inches, he apparently found just enough room to put his car in drive and glide away. I started to walk after him, but realized that backing into cars may be a sign that he may also drive into people. Just another war wound for the beast.

KC is a great place to watch baseball
The Royals fans are great. They know that they have a young, talented team which needs a few years to mature. They cheer hustle and good fundamentals. They don't boo poor plays or mental errors. The media presents the players in a good light and the players remain involved in the community. Definitely a good baseball town.

Fortunately, the fans don't flood the stadium each night, so tickets 5 rows behind the dugout were readily available for face value at the box office. Add that to consecutive 8-2 victories, great pulled pork and clean undies, and I had the time of my life in this soon to be renovated stadium.

Laundromats are confusing places
Why would anyone put a front load washer directly across from a top load one? Doesn't it just lead confused tech geeks to washing their clothes a total of 3 times before realizing that most dryers don't offer an option for the water temperature? $10 extra dollars and an hour later, I did finally figure out where the dryers were (luckily, right next to the Donkey Kong game) and within 45 minutes my bits and pieces smelled of a fresh Spring day.



After seeing 2 great games, I came to the realization that I was ready to head home. Up next - What A Long Strange Trip It's Been

No comments: