Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 13: Part 2 - I Just Want To Sleep!

Last we left our pudgy hero, he was waving, grinning and making British Columbians smile (they smuggle herring, not nose candy like normal Columbians)...

As you may imagine, riding ferries for three straight days can be tiring. You're sleeping options are either chairs that are less comfortable than a hot sauce enema, dining room tables, or multi-colored carpets smelling of sawdust and lysol. Luckily for me, the final leg of this travel arrived at 11pm and required a 5 hour drive to the next destination, so I had the opportunity to try all three.

Please do enjoy the hijinks that ensued:

The Chairs
I have to give it up to BC Ferries on this one. The chairs were actually quite nice and comfortable, relatively speaking of course. Unfortunately the surroundings weren't as palatable. Where do you usually find reclining leather chairs? Right - in a movie theater. And where do you usually find the diaper clad leaders of tomorrow on epic voyages such as this? Right - in front of the only tv on the ship.

Between the crying, gagging, coughing, threats, pleads and occasional odd smell, it is impossible to sleep with imprisoned children nearby. I honestly have no idea how Nicholas the Shepard and Stephen of Cloyes were able to lead the Children's Crusade. I don't care if the big man upstairs walked along side me as I led them, I'd probably still try to find a cliff to lead them over while He was tending to His other duties.


Dining Room Tables
These were actually a pretty good option. The chairs are passable, the tables bolted down, and most of the other patrons were playing cards or eating, so the noise was minimal. After just a few pages of Nickel and Dimed (NOTE: I would only recommend this to certain people - for some it will be an eye opener, while others would scoff at it), I was out like a light. By my estimation I got nearly 2 full hours of sleep.

Now the sleeping wasn't the issue here, it was the way in which I was awoken. If you are in a slumber comparable to Yogi and Boo Boo's on Valentine's day, there are very few things that will wake you up. I now know that 4 teenagers clad in white kitchen aprons and braces frantically shaking you can be added to the list.

And when such an occasion arises, what may be the first thing you'd want to hear? Maybe, "You were having a nightmare, so we woke you" or "Here have some cake", but certainly not, "OH MY GOD WE THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD!!! WE DIDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO". Add to that the fact that all the surrounding tables were clad in spotless white table clothes to match the aprons, and I didn't have a clue if I was in purgatory or the Alaskan Panhandle.


The Carpet
In case you didn't read my previous entry (and how dare you!), I had not washed or changed clothes for nearly three days at this point in my travels. It's not that I am a slob (though I am), but there were just no facilities for me to use. Because of this, I had worked up a nice stench representing a combination of freshly dug earth, chicken manure and my own personal scent - Eau d'Fat Man Running.

While the others on the ship may have been aromatically offended, I had come to quite enjoy my contribution to the vessel. It was with great pride that I laid upon a floor which I could claim to be the smelliest object despite stains that hinted of contenders for the title. With my head propped on my sleeping bag and my sweatshirt used as a makeshift blanket, I was out for what I assumed would be the duration of the trip.

One thing I've yet to mention in this post is the make up of my travel companions. I had assumed they would be a bunch of locals, but to my surprise, they were not. Instead, they were a clan of tall, broad shouldered, blond haired, blue eyed Germans, their children and their meager husbands.

Now Germans are known for the ability to withhold emotion and take all events in stride. Unless, of course, whales are involved, in which case all bets are off. It was during one of these Aryan stampedes that I awoke to find a frantic elderly Fraulein attempting to spot the humpbacked mammal. This would have been fine if she'd not been standing directly over my head, a heel adjacent to either ear.

I do have to admit that it could have been worse. She apparently anticipated a chilly day and had dressed accordingly, leaving her skirt packed away. I can only imagine the resulting trauma had this been a tropical cruise.

The result of such sleep deprivation and lack of green tea, coffee or red bull left me in a most curious state. Luckily, a food service employee saw that I was in a weird state and struck up a conversation:

Employee: "Did you see the whale?"
A Groggy Me: "Yeaaahhh. They are BIIIIGGGG."
Employee: "I know, but there are small ones too."
A Groggy Me: "Really? That would be cool to see a small one and a big one."
Employee: "Yeah - the small ones are usually the baby whales."
My Internal Monologue: "Shite, even the food service guy thinks I'm SPECIAL".

At that point I excused myself and silently wept for the duration of the trip through the Inside Passage.


You'll be glad to know that the 5 hour drive was completed successfully (and uneventfully) which led to my arrival in Vancouver at 8 am (after one last, short ferry ride).

Next - Day 14: Ewoks, Olympics and Custom Searches

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ferry sleeping is the near-worst kind of sleeping you can get. i had to sleep on a greek ferry for a good 10 hours.

add olive oil and slouvaki smells to your alaskan swede smells...not fun.

and you ARE special chad *pats head*

more pictures! more pictures! more pictures!
kblo

Anonymous said...

Is a ferry like a cruise ship? Did they have shuffle board? Bingo? A Show? Were you sleeping at the Captain's Table?

--Larry