Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Leg 2: Salmon, Coffee and Sushi. America's Left Coast

Ah, the quarter life crisis, a great excuse for middle class, previously spoiled brats to say "Screw it all, I'm outta here!". Do coal miners run into this? Probably not. What can I say? I bitch about life, but I have it pretty well.

This next part of my Tour de North America will let me explore Ketchikan, the "Salmon Capital of the World", ride on several ferries (big boats, not big queens), support a down and out coffee house, gobble down some ebi, and try not to succumb to the allure of the high paying, relaxed pace of west coast life.

Most importantly, I'm going to explore the territory around Vancouver and Seattle. I have spent full weeks of my life trying to conquer these hills in Railroad Tycoon II and screaming "WTF! How is there no gradient in these hills less than an 8?" It's about time I appreciate the real versions of these island riddled lands.


DateStart LocationEnd LocationMilesTimeNotes
Days 12-13Friday, July 25 - Saturday, July 26Metlakatla, AKPort Hardy, BC430~1 dayA great voyage through the British Columbia Inside Passage
Day 14Sunday, July 27Port Hardy, BCVancouver, BC2897:13A nighttime drive across Vancouver Island
Day 15Monday, July 28Vancouver, BCSeattle, WA1412:32If you don't hear from me for a while, check here or here
Day 16Tuesday, July 29Seattle, WAOregon Sand Dunes3465:56Ahhh...a night in the dunes. Other than a crack full of sand, can it get much better than this?
Day 17Wednesday, July 30Oregon Sand DunesYosemite National Park65811:34Yeah, I'm a little psyched bout this one
Day 18Thursday, July 31Yosemite National ParkYosemite National Park00:00Hiking Day!!!
Day 19Friday, August 1Yosemite National ParkSan Mateo, CA1833:47Catching up with my west coast geek baseball buddies
Day 20Saturday, August 2San MateoSan Mateo00:00APBAPalooza!!!
Day 21Sunday, August 3San Mateo, CAGrand Canyon National Park78711:54


All in all, just under 3,000 miles on this leg with a good chunk of those on ferries. Luckily the views are supposed to be great and I'll be able to catch up on some Zzzzzs.

Up Next: Hiking, Highways and Home

1 comment:

Tim said...

And hopefully San Francisco on the 6th! If you put as much effort into finding (and keeping) a good woman as you do with your dorky ass maps, you'd be married by now! Oh, wait...maybe that's why you don't do it. My bad. Good work! Keep up the blog and be safe in your travels. Call any time.