Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day 2: Catholic School Girls (this should get my hit count up!)

There is nothing quite like a red bull in the morning. Except maybe 2. Used to chase a latte. A really big latte. After a 4 mile run. And so was the start of Day 2. Despite the long Day 1 and a warm night in the tents, we were back on the road towards Alaska. (Side note: A friend pointed out that green tea is much healthier. I agree, but you try to stock green tea in a cooler meant for beer. Not easy.)


View Larger Map

An hour into the drive, we passed the Hall of Fame that you only thought couldn't exist. That's right - the Recreational Vehicle and Manufactured Housing Hall of Fame. Now, I may have an active imagination, but not even I could make this up. This is an actual 80,000 square foot space dedicated to celebrating "Affordable Housing". I just don't know what else to say - the site says it all.

Just down the road from that gem was South Bend, IN. The home of the College Football Hall of Fame. While I was unaware of this, it did not surprise me all that much. Of course, this was skipped due to time constraints in order to focus on a brief tour of the Notre Dame Campus.


All I can say is "Wow". An absolutely amazing campus. It is clean, the buildings are big and impressive, the history is well known. More importantly, the girls are old enough, repressed enough, smart enough and Catholic enough to make college a lot of fun. I would say that I will be sending my first born son here, but as my brother pointed out, that requires a mate to breed with, and, well, most of us know how that is going (maybe romantic thoughts like that are helping to hold me back...)



After a hair raising 2 hour stop on the Chicago "Express Highway" in which we traveled a total of 20 miles we zoomed west towards the KOA in Rochester, MN. If you are ever in need of such lodging in this beautiful area, I highly recommend the KOA. It has a pool, foosball table, clean bathrooms and WiFi. That's right - the same things that impress a 12 year old impress me. Add boobies to that previous sentence and I think you have it all.

All in all, a stressful, but productive day. 623 total miles in right around 11 hours despite the troubles in Chicago. The extra driving has paid off - we have already knocked a day from the trip which we are using to hike in the Badlands (where we are driving tomorrow). Mmmmmmm...

A couple side notes:
1. I am driving the Saab solo. My bro, his girlfriend and their dog are in the FJCruiser and leading the way. We communicate by walkie talkie to avoid dead spots in the cell coverage. Walkie Talkies are awesome ("Roger that", "ten-four", "over and out", "big dog" and "breaker breaker one nine" have been uttered roughly 723 times in two days.)

2. I know my HTML - I was just lazy. I'll try to remember to make the links pop up in new windows from now on. On that note - HTML is NOT A PROGRAMMING LANGUAGE - it is simply a markup language. If you ever speak with or interview someone who says "I program in HTML" punch them. Hard.

3. Feel free to leave comments - anonymous or otherwise. I'll try to respond to any requests. Also, feel free to share the blog with anyone who might enjoy it. I get quite a kick out of the life I lead, so I might as well share that with others.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walkie-talkies are dandy, as long as they don't lead to trucker-sex in rest stop area bathroom stalls.

breaker breaker indeed.

Katherine Blondin
PS, might send best friend your link, as she is semi-newly divorced and needs to see there are indeed adventurous fun great guys in the world - even if they are across the country at this point.

Mom said...

Chad,
Please make sure that you pay attention to the info that was given in regards to walkie talkies - I don't want you to end up like Dumb n Dumber and Cam Neely.
Love,
Mom
PS - I love the blog!

Unknown said...

Wow, I have always wanted to see Notre Dame campus. Defiantely a prestige university! And you are right, Walkie-Talkie's are great! Looks like it's a smooth steady start so far!!!

Anonymous said...

I think at some point during your trip I may regret this...but can you take some pictures that actually have people in them? For example, this is Chad and a Grizly Bear, this is Chad in his tent, etc. I think that may add some excitement to the photos.

Kudos on the blog so far - I look forward to reading each night.

-DB

John Byun said...

Loving the new-window-links buddy. I thought I was the only nerd who takes pictures of the odometer, while driving, when they reach a significant round number but I guess I'm not alone. Touche...

Anonymous said...

Chad-

Even though some of us are happily hooked up, I second the comment for pictures, esp of the Catholic school girls you waxed so lengthily about.

DH