Friday, July 25, 2008

Day 11: A Day on the Boats

Alright, so here's the deal. I rode two ferries for over 8 hours today. Before the comments are overridden with questions pulled directly from the gutter, let me give a few answers:
  • No, I'm not sore
  • In fact, I did enter from the rear of the ship, and somewhat towards the bottom
  • The motion of the ocean didn't do much for me, but the size of one of the ships was quite impressive
If those answers don't satiate you're appetite for poorly veiled homoerotic references, feel free to ask away. Just try to keep the questions original. Comments like "Ha! Ferry - you're gay! Where ya going next, a gay strip club with gay naked gay dudes dancing gayly?" are boring, horribly unoriginal and are the grammatical equivalent of my typical first (and usually only) date with soon to be former members of FGOCs.

The first 3 hours of today's itinerary consisted of Big Blue being loaded to the hilt and waiting in line to board the boat while I sat in the lobby preparing for a big day of, well, more sitting.


Once we were all aboard, we were off on a 6 hour journey from Prince Rupert, AB to Ketchikan, AK. There were some amazing views along this journey including:

My brother and his girlfriend posing in front of Ketchikan, AK


A cruse ship being crushed, "Kids in the Hall" Style


Snow capped mountains overlooking ocean front homes


And my brother posing with what appears to be a homeless man



After a quick turnaround, we jumped right on a ferry to Metlakatla, AK - the new home to two of the best teachers that Maine has to offer and their pet Moose.


After an hour long jaunt around Annette Island, we finally tracked down some lodging the cleverly named "Tuck 'Em Inn"


Amazingly enough, the accommodations were as cozy as the name would have you believe. The furniture was comfortable, the tv large and the internet slow. All in all, I couldn't complain.

I'm also happy to give two-tid bits that would fall in the miscellaneous category (because everything else is so logical and well laid out):
  1. Disappearances by Howard Frank Mosher is a great read. I was turned on to Mosher by his book Waiting for Teddy Williams which is even better and a must read for New England baseball fans (not about that Ted Williams though).
  2. My brain-to-mouth filter is starting to fail again. Driving around a very small island sarcastically yelling "There's another good trailer for ya" with the windows down is not smooth. Telling someone that you hardly know over the phone that you are finally wearing clean underwear again after a trip to the laundromat is just plain stupid.

Off tomorrow to help everyone find a place to live, then lots more time on the boats. I wonder how people will react to an unshaven, disheveled man watching Superbad on his MacBook. Please send bail money if you don't hear from me soon...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

your bro sure is reacting like he's being hugged by a homeless man!

it really does look like you're riding dog Moose, cowboy style not -that kind- of riding style...giddy up! (either way heath ledger and jake can'tspellhisname would be proud)

so just to confirm what i've columbo-style pieced together are bro and his gf staying in alaska while you move on? what are they going to teach? (see i guessed it without a glass eye or a trenchcoat).

happy weekending, katherine

Tim said...

So I love a good Top 10 List every now and again...How about a list of awkward moments? worst food? most interesting people/places? things overheard? etc...I know you'll do a great job with this, and now that you'll have time by yourself, you'll need something to think about (other than riding ferries). Sox vs. Yanks tonight! Find a tv and an interesting barfly to watch.

Mom said...

Hi Chad,
I am glad to see that you are getting some reading in during all your busy time. Great book.
Make sure that you know no matter what people are looking your blog up under, I still love you....! Be careful on your trip back and take your time.
Drive carefully,
Mom
PS great photos!

John Byun said...

How is it that your brother, his girlfriend, and even Moose look perfectly groomed and normal but you're the only one that manages to look like a hobo?

I like it! Keep the look and walk into work looking like that. The reactions should be priceless.

Anonymous said...

Being the person who you hardly know over the phone about your dirty underwear problem I can honestly can say that I thought it was quite comical, not stupid. Honestly I can relate seeing how I just arrived home tonight and went commando the last long drive home since mine were all dirty from vaca too. Hope your having lots of fun. I'll talk to you soon.

Amanda