Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 6: Yellowstone!

There aren't a whole lot of things that I regret in this life - if you've spoken with me for more than 5 minutes, then you probably know exactly what they are. (Side note - I've found 4.5 minutes is about the length I can talk to ladies on the phone before I get nervous and make some excuse to hang up. I think it's some weird defense mechanism to protect them from early exposure to my uniqueness). Of those things I do regret, I've made up for a lot of them over the last year and a half.

Unfortunately I have to report the regret of a lifetime in this posting. On the trip from Livingston, MT (just north of Yellowstone) to West Glacier, MT (home of Glacier National Park) we passed through a town named Butte.

View Larger Map

Now Butte, as most of us know, is pronounced "Bute" with a long 'u'. Of course, my brother and I have the combined maturity of a 13 year old, so his girlfriend had the joy of listening to butt jokes for well over 100 miles until we reached this tract of single level homes and run down strip malls.

One thing we didn't realize was that there is a big rig weigh station in the town of Butte. And at this station there is a sign. A very large, very yellow sign. And that sign clearly states the purpose of the weigh station in the simplest possible terms: "BUTTE SCALE". If there was ever a picture that needed to be taken, this was it. Who could resist staring at two ghostly Irish arses situated upon an aptly named Butte Scale? Unfortunately, we were slow on the shutter and unable to break in time. I fear that I will take this one to the grave, for there are very few Buttes in this world. Some day, if I am truly lucky, I will arrive at Crested Butte, CO after a long hike or bike ride. Only then will I be able to whip out my camera, snap a photo at the most unusual of angles and be able to finally die a peaceful death.

Of course, a glorious day can be made despite the disappointment of a lifetime. Today was the day to visit Yellowstone.


While we had to cancel all hikes (including day 2 which will now be spent hiking Glacier, also without Moose) due to the pet unfriendliness of the park (apparently bears like to eat dogs), we still enjoyed a nice 2 hour, relatively tourist free drive through the northwest corner.


This is only a tiny portion of a gigantic park that I will have to visit at a later date. Be warned FGOCs (Future Gals of Chad), one of you will probably be dragged along on the trip. Feel free to fight amongst yourselves for this pleasure and let me know who the lucky lady is. A single elimination jello wrestling tournament is preferred, but mud or baby oil can be used if lime jello is unavailable.

And what would this posting be without some random shots of the day. Enjoy.

Brotherly Love


Alaska's Newest Teachers


Someone Knew We Were Coming


The Lead Driver and Navigator of Leg 1



Hiking Glacier tomorrow...

3 comments:

John Byun said...

Your photoshop skills are amazing. The picture of you with two gorgeous women look absolutely real!! Nice touch on the diversity factor as well rather than photoshopping yourself amongst the bimbo blonde types...

John Byun said...

By the way, take a picture of your car... I want to see this trusty Saab.

Anonymous said...

or maybe the mount holmes is a future sign to the future ladies of chad....hrmmmmmm?


so we (my family and i, not some weird royal we) went camping at/near yellowstone a lot when we lived in CO. and i will forever and ever love the smell of the sulpher from the springs.

katherine "catching up from the weekend" blondin