Friday, July 11, 2008

Leg 3: Hiking, Highways and Home

Homecoming. A joyous occasion for 90% of high school students. On no other evening can you guarantee pep rallies, bonfires, furry mascots and the loss of virginity (in the classiest of towns, this can all happen simultaneously). While I don't expect all of these in the final leg of my trek, a boy can hope for at least one or two.

This leg of my journey will see me leaving the West Coast hospitality of Robert and Dwight for unknown adventures in the storied west. National parks will be crossed off my list, ballparks will be visited, and the Midwest will have the chance to show that it has more to offer the world then some great beef and a few super consultants.

(Editor's note: Please don't confuse Robert and Dwight for "Robert and Dwight". They both have very nice and attractive female companions. It gives me a lot of hope, because if those two can be so lucky, then I might have a chance too!).

And just as it looks like the last visit has been made, the last trail hiked and the last tank filled, I will visit one of the most perfect towns ever created (even if the fame is unwarranted).

So without further adieu, my final itinerary of the journey...



DateStart LocationEnd LocationMilesTimeNotes
Day 22
Monday, August 4
Grand Canyon National ParkZion National Park
254
4:51
A morning hike followed by an afternoon drive. I may need these to help me contain my excitement.
Day 23
Tuesday, August 5
Zion National ParkDenver, CO
634
9:17
Another morning hike and afternoon drive through Bryce Canyon. I might even stop and visit one of the few Dookies (NSFW!) I actually like.
Day 24
Wednesday, August 6
Denver, CO
Kansas City, MO
603
8:45
Batting practice for the Sox in KC.
Day 25
Thursday, August 7
Kansas City, Mo
Knoxville, TN
732
11:13
Might have to get some friends of the road to keep me awake.
Day 26
Friday, August 8
Knoxville, TN
Shenandoah National Park
371
5:56
Drive through Great Smokey Mountains National Park.
Day 27
Saturday, August 9
Shenandoah National Park
Cooperstown, NY
442
7:23
Baseball HOF!!!
Day 28
Sunday, August 10
Cooperstown, NY
Pelham, NH
257
4:32
Home Sweet Home
Day 29
Monday, August 11
Boo
Hoo
0
0:00
Crying as I boot up my machine for the fist time in 28 days


3,300 dusty miles for the finale.

10,500 total miles @ 25mpg = 420 gallons of gas. You can do the math from there.

So those are the plans. Can I stick to them? Will I run out of money? Luck? Patience? Check back for updates, pictures and stories as frequently as I can post them...

No comments: