Monday, July 7, 2008

Leg 1: Coast to Coast the Saab Way

While I've been trying to convince myself that a 10,000 mile jaunt can in fact be a laid back, relaxed, worry free venture, this may not entirely be the case. Between a bevy of pink, alcohol infused beverages this past weekend, my travel mates for leg 1 of this sure to be epic tail pulled me aside and got me to start doing some planning.

I've come up with a rough, 10 day outline that will get us from Skowhegan, ME, the home of Margaret Chase Smith, The Skowhegan State Fair and Guitar Hero Legend Chaz Holmes (no relation) to Metlakatla, AK, the home of...I'll get back to you on that one.

Here's a little breakdown of this part of the journey. Don't stop believing that it will be a blast. (See what I did there with the Journey reference. Yeah, I'm good.)


DateStart LocationEnd LocationMilesTimeNotes
Day 0Sunday, July 13Skowhegan, MEPelham, NH1863:20
Day 1Monday, July 14Pelham, NHBrockton, NY5168:38
Day 2Tuesday, July 15Brockton, NYPortage, IN4497:33Lunch at Notre Dame
Day 3Wednesday, July 16Portage, INMartin County, MN5048:32There is literally NO reason to stop in Martin, except that we must sleep at some point. Sorry to the good folks of Martin (both of you) for my bluntness
Day 4Thursday, July 17Martin, MNBadlands National Park, SD3926:19Major National Park #1 AND Mt. Rushmore!
Day 5Friday, July 18Badlands National Park, SDYellowstone National Park, WY59011:14I am trembling with anticipation for this stop. I think I just peed a little.
Day 6Saturday, July 19YellowstoneYellowstone00Hiking Day!!!
Day 7Sunday, July 20YellowstoneGlacier National Park, MN4319:56
Day 8Monday, July 21Glacier National ParkJasper, Alberta4409:54This drive will go directly through Banff National Park of Canada. Starting to notice the theme yet?
Day 9/10Tues/Wed, July 22/23Jasper, AlbertaPrince Rupert, BC67913:09Lots of mountains, moose and Canadians. Which pose the greatest threats?
Day 11Thursday, July 24Prince Rupert, BCMetlakatla, AK??????Ferry travel between the Southern Alaskan Islands

Total miles for this leg? Just short of 4,200. No, it is not the quickest route, but the views will be better than a spring day on the Chapel Hill quad.

Up next, "Leg 2: Salmon, Coffee and Sushi. America's Left Coast"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Prince Rupert, is that anything like a Prince Albert? No, I didn't think so.

Good to see the journey has at least a little bit of planning to it. I recommend stopping in Jackson, Wyoming if you can. Although it is South of Yellowstone, it is one of those places... ya know?

Also, for getting to Yellowstone, how are you going? It appears that you will be taking pretty much 90 the whole way across. There are two northern entrances to Yellowstone, I recommend the actual North entrance off Rt. 212. So after the Badlands, go 90 -> 14 -> 24 -> Devil's Tower -> up to 90 -> Billings -> break off at 212 and into Yellowstone.

Just my $0.02

Anonymous said...

Chadlick. Great to see you!! I am glad you took time out to stop by. I am sooo jealous. Enjoy your trip and family. Looks like you have a nice plan. My old roommate from my bartending days lives in Jackson, Wyoming. Her name is Courtney. Who knows she may still be in the business somewhere out there looking for some mook from Maine. God bless. Keep in touch. Tango